Ingredients:2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts halved lengthways
1/2 cup fresh apple juice
3tbsp basil pesto
Freshly ground black pepper
1.5 tbsp Donegal Rapeseed Oil
1/2 medium onion, finely diced
1tsp chopped garlic
1/2 cup white wine
3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable stock
1 cup low-fat milk
1.5 cups uncooked polenta
1tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
1tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
GRAVY 1.5 tbsp donegal rapeseed oil, 2 tbsp plain flour, 1.5 cup of apple cider, freshly ground black pepper
- In a shallow dish, combine the apple juice and pesto and season with pepper. Add the chicken breasts and cover with the marinade. Cover with kitchen foil and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius or Gas Mark 6. Line the baking tray with aliminium foil and lightly oil the foil. In a saucepan, heat the oil and when hot, saute the onion and garlic for 2 minutes or until they soften but do not let them brown. Add the wine, bring to the boil and cook until it is reduced by half.
- Add the stock and milk and bring to a rapid simmer, watch carefully and maintain the simmer. With the liquid simmering, slowly add the polenta, whisking as you do. When all the liquid is added, reduce the heat and cook, stirring almost constantly, for 10 minutes or until the polenta is soft and cooked through.
- Remove the polenta from the heat and fold in the oil, parsley, basil and oregano. Pour the polenta onto a prepared baking tray and spread evenly over the tray. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes until slightly golden on the top. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, heat the oil on medium heat. When hot, stir in the flour to make a roux or a paste. Cook the roux for one minute, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is light brown. Whisk the apple cider into the roux to avoid clumping. If the gravy is too thick, whisk in more cider. Season with pepper and set aside covered.
- Rub the grill pan with rapeseed oil and heat it up. Lift the chicken from the marinade and let most of it drip back into the dish. Grill for 10/12 minutes, turning a few times, until the chicken breast is cooked through. Let the chicken rest for a few minutes and then cut each breast into slices, approx 1cm thick.
- Ladle 3 tbsp of gravy into the middle of a serving plate and top with a slice of baked polenta. Top the polenta with chicken slices and serve.