Ingredients:150 ml Donegal Rapeseed Oil (a wee bit extra for greasing)
50 grams of cocoa powder
125ml boiling water
2 tsp of vanilla extract
150 grams of ground almonds
1/2 tsp of bicarbonate of soda
1 pinch of salt
200 grams of caster sugar
3 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius.
- Grease a 23cm/9inch tin with a little Donegal Rapeseed Oil and line the base with baking parchment.
- Sift the cocoa powder into a bowl and whisk in the boiling water until you have a smooth paste like mixture.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the almonds with the bicarbonate of soda and the pinch of salt.
- Put in the Donegal Rapeseed Oil, sugar and eggs into a bowl and whisk for around 3 minutes until you have a thick cream.
- Pour in the cocoa mix, beating as you go, then slowly add the almond mixture.
- Stir a little and pour into the prepared tin.
- Bake for around 45 minutes OR until the sides are set and the centre still looks damp.
- Let cool for 10 minutes (keep it in its tin) then ease the sides with a metal spatula and bring it out of the tin.