Ingredients:2 garlic cloves, crushed
6 tbsp Donegal Rapeseed Oil
2x400g tins of chopped tomatoes
4 aubergines, cut into long, thin, slices
85g parmesan, grated
A handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
1 egg, beaten
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/gas mark 6. In a large shallow saucepan, heat four tablespoons of the oil over a medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for three minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, reduce the heat to low and simmer for eight minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomato puree and continue to cook.
- Heat a heavy frying pan or griddle pan over a high heat until very hot. Brush a few of the aubergines with a little oil and cook until well browned and cooked through, about three minutes per side. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper and repeat with the remaining aubergine slices.
- Line the bottom of an ovenproof baking dish with aubergine slices. Cover with the tomato sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan and basil leaves. Repeat until all the aubergines and sauce are used.
- Pour the egg over the top of the bake, sprinkle with more Parmesan, and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the topping is golden.