Yields: 6 Servings Difficulty: Medium Prep Time: 15 Mins Cook Time: 1 Hr Total Time: 1 Hr 15 Mins
Recipe by Chef Neven Maguire.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/gas mark 6). Stretch each rasher with the back of a table knife and then wrap it around a chicken thigh.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole with a lid and cook the wrapped chicken thighs in batches until lightly browned all over. Arrange on a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat, then add the onions and sweet potatoes. Sauté for 5 minutes, until golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring to prevent it from sticking. Add the mushrooms, redcurrant jelly, orange rind and bay leaf then pour in the stock and cider.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, return the chicken to the casserole and stir in the thyme. Cover and cook for 1 hour, or until the chicken is completely tender and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Season to taste and stir in the parsley.
- To serve, sprinkle the casserole with the flaked almonds, then place directly on the table with a large bowl of creamy mashed potatoes to mop up all those delicious juices.