Yields: 4 Servings Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 10 Mins Cook Time: 10 Mins Total Time: 20 Mins
Recipe by Chef Neven Maguire.
- Dry roast the peppercorns for a couple of minutes, until aromatic. Transfer to a pestle and mortar and lightly crush down, then tip onto a flat plate. Pat the steaks dry with kitchen paper and press the mixed peppercorns onto both sides of the steaks using your hands.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over a high heat. Add the steaks and cook for 2 minutes on each side, then reduce the heat, add half the butter and cook the steaks for 5 minutes more, turning once, depending on how rare you like it.
- Transfer the steaks to a plate, season with salt and set aside in a warm place to rest while you make the sauce.
- Pour away any excess fat from the pan, add the remaining butter and fry the shallots for a few minutes, until softened but not browned. Add the stock and Worcestershire sauce and cook rapidly, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release any sediment.
- Stir in the cream, mustard and green peppercorns, then season to taste with salt and just warm through.
- Heat the whiskey in a ladle over a flame and wait until it ignites, then pour it over the cream, stirring to combine. Simmer for 1-2 minutes to warm through.
- Arrange the steaks on warmed plates, stirring any juices from the rested steaks into the peppercorn sauce.
- Drizzle the sauce over the steaks and serve with the garlic mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli.